No Crash Here: Riches in the Department of What Matters

Spring has sprung in these parts. The weather—never bad this winter, really—has been spectacular for the past several weeks. Everything is in blossom. At this time of year, the citrus perfumes the air like frangipani in the South Pacific islands. It reminds us that our strange, abstract human constructs of “wealth” are so silly as to be meaningless. Does losing a quarter million bucks in real estate and the stock market really matter when far more believable riches surround us?

Click on the image for a full-size view.Click again for a mega-view.Captions show only at the site, not in the RSS feed.

Wonderful as flowers are, I’m planting a lot more vegetables in the garden. That chard borders the pool, and probably will grow there through the summer. Soon its neighbors, the beets and carrots, will be ready to harvest. Meanwhile, yesterday in a part of the yard that gets more sun I put in some cantaloupe and some butternut squash, which I hope will grow from grocery-scavenged seeds.As times grow even harder, food is going to be more expensive; possibly even scarce. So, the flowers will have to make way for things that can be eaten.

The yard already has plenty of that: I’ve been scarfing tree-ripened oranges for the past two and a half months, and now the oranges, lemon, and lime are all covered with new blossoms. Next winter will see another bumper crop of citrus, I think.

Those oranges are sweet as candy. Eat your heart out, Warren Buffett!

Catherine March 6, 2009 at 5:54 am

Yummy, Funny! What wonderful things you are doing with your yard.

the weakonomist March 6, 2009 at 6:50 am

We are often way too caught up in the problems of the economy and politics. My dad knows better than anyone when to step outside a look around. The weather doesn’t change in a recession, the beaches are still sunny, and the forests still green.

Thank you for doing this. So many people need to step outside. Wall St. should spend the day in Central Park.

frugalscholar March 6, 2009 at 2:20 pm

“Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze…”
It’s been beautiful here too. But I still hope for a recovery in my retirement accounts!

funnyaboutmoney1 March 6, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Life is precious. Even if there is no recovery, we will be good.

SimplyForties March 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Wow, beautiful! Didn’t you plant some peas around the base of your trees last fall? How did that turn out? Even though it’s in the 80′s here, with our high altitude means we’re not out of frost danger until after Easter so I’ll have to keep playing with my plants in the basement for another month.

funnyaboutmoney1 March 7, 2009 at 5:17 am

The peas are still alive but not thriving. I think they need to be planted in better soil.

{ 1 trackback }