I don’t wanna. That’s where we’re at here. I just effin’ don’t want to!
The Light has shined down from heaven and illuminated reality: I’m not doing all the things I should be doing BECAUSE…
Yesh, all the things I should be doing:
• Get The Complete Writer ensconced at the PoD site, generate page proofs, copyedit page proofs, update the MS, upload corrected copy, and generate a second page proof
• Ride herd on the e-book builder; if he doesn’t get his act together soon, hire someone else
• Re-enroll in Toastmaster’s and effin’ get serious about it
• Build more and better publicity on Facebook, Twaddle, and effin’ Mailchimp (how do i hate Mailchimp? let me count the ways…)
• Hustle up some speaking engagements
• Fix DropBox on the iMac (disabled by fuckin’ OS 10.11.4)
• Get to work, get to work, GET. TO. WORK!
Well, all sorts of reasons not do do these things present themselves:
• 12 weeks of debilitating respiratory infection
• Updating the Macs’ OS fucked up everything on my computers, making it a) difficult or b) impossible to perform tasks I did formerly with easy keyboard commands.
• I’m way behind in the marketing program.
• I can’t even begin to figure out how to run X, Y, or Z program.
• Maybe the GERD is back. Maybe the respiratory “infection” is the GERD.
• I’m not getting enough exercise.
• I have too much paying editorial work.
• I have to do __(fill in the blank)__ first.
• The pool needs to be cleaned.
• The shrubbery needs to be trimmed.
• The groceries need to be shopped for…
Nope. ‘Fraid not. The truth is, I’m not doing all those things for one simple reason: because I don’t want to.
And y’know what? I think that’s my body or my unconscious or God Herself tryin’ to tell me something.
If they were things that would work,
if they were things that were worth doing,
I’d have done them by now.
Not just by now, but a long time ago.
You know what I do wanna do? As you suspect, it surely is none of the above.
What I wanna do is draft the next scene in my current wildly unpublishable novel. That’s what I wanna do. I wanna write unpublishable novels.
The God’s Truth is that I do not need to write any more publishable copy. No. No, indeed.
The editing bidness brings in plenty of income. In the past year, it’s generated more than Social Security has plopped into my checking account. And Social Security plus the Required Minimum Drawdown from retirement savings is exactly enough to support me, coming out even at the end of a 12-month period.
So…why do I want to do anything else?
Probably because it’s just what I do. It’s what I’ve always done: work myself stupid, often for no very good reason.
And here’s the thing when it comes to personal finance, the putative slant of Funny about Money: FIREers: beware.
You can achieve Financial Independence. You can Retire Early. But you may find yourself, at some level, still feeling driven to do something constructive. And because America measures “constructive” in dollars, you may define “constructive” as paying work.
What if “constructive” work is not paying work? What if it isn’t socially redeeming work, like charity or teaching or loving one’s neighbors? What if it’s not even work at all?
What I’m suggesting is that at some point in life you should do what moves you, even if what moves you is not socially redeeming, not good for the society, and absolutely absent any chance of profitability. Corollary: If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it.
If you can’t force yourself to do it, don’t do it. Find something else to do.
As of today, I’m stopping.
I need to reconsider what I’m doing with my life and do something else. If “something else” is the same as “nothing,” then it’s time to do…nothing.