i wanna get off!
Seriously… Don’t you feel like we’ve gone through the Looking Glass and come out on the other side?
Fires and smoke consuming Canada and the East Coast. War rages on in Eastern Europe. A living former president of the United States is indicted for a felony. A former prime minister of Great Britain stalks off the job. And Apple brings us a technology that blends reality and fantasy into one weird world.
Not that the world wasn’t already weird enough….
- Boris Johnson, yes, quits as the UK’s prime minister — a little too much indiscretion about the partying.
- Mark Zuckerberg brings us a fancy new headset that blends reality with fantasy. And why not? Who can tell the difference, as it is?
- The former President of the United States is indicted for a felony that he signed into law.
- Same Pretend President is found to have boxloads of state secrets hidden in his shower.
- Canada is burning down.
- The smoke from Canada is asphyxiating the northeastern U.S.
- Chat GPT is scaring the bedoodles out of the guy who developed it.
- A logjam of cargo ships is already piling up off the West Coast: more to come.
- There’s such a thing as “revenge travel” these days.
- AI is charging up the road like a demented buffalo.
- A new prescription treatment for Alzheimer’s is coming up the pike. Let’s hope it works! 😀 It’ll be just about on time for the likes of me. Unfortunately, it appears to have a high incidence of untoward side effects. Plus to get it, you have to have a biweekly IV infusion — doesn’t that sound like fun!
Ahhh, the Gnus of the Day.
I refuse to pay for TV. Profoundly, indeed, did I resent our Civic Fathers taking free, off-the-air television away from us. I could see paying for cable if there were something worth watching, or if something that runs regularly were worth paying for. But, alas…unless you’re a sports fan, there really isn’t much of anything that, IMHO, is worth plunking down a monthly fee.
Seriously: if you have the Internet (which most of us do), you can import just about all the televised drivel you can stand to contemplate, right on your computer. Ad-free. I use a big iMac to follow the news and the very few PBS shows still worth watching. Why pay extra for that stuff?
Meanwhile, closer to home:
I’ve been too sick to pay the bills, what with this li’l covid adventure. Most of them autopay. But a couple don’t, because I don’t much trust this or that vendor. Cox, alas, is one of them. Just realized I probably didn’t pay the recent Cox bill, because I’ve been too distracted to notice which bills were what.
So tomorrow I’ll have to get on the phone and pay that by charging it up on the AMEX card.
One of covid’s interesting effects is to render your brain nonfunctional. Thus: never did hit “publish” on this post. Never did pay the phone bill.
Still seem to be online, though. First thing after dawn (it’s about 3 a.m. now), the phone predicament will have to be dealt with.
Coughing coughing coughing coughing. Every BARK BARK BARK rips into the spavined back and the sore hip.
Gotta try to get back to sleep!