Ruby the Corgi seems a little better today. She’s been gagging and horking every time she laps up a sip of water…but this morning she gets through a lot more water before a cough-fest starts.
I’m hoping she’ll be better by the end of the day. Mostly because…well, I’m hoping she’ll GET BETTER. But also because today is Sunday: we’ll play Hob trying to find an open veterinary, and you can be sure any vet who will see us today will charge through the wazoo.
Truth is, it looks like she really is likely to throw off whatever-this-is. She ate all her food without a cough-fest, and did manage to scoop up a fair amount of water before she started choking. So…we know she IS getting enough water, despite the unholy heat. Probably it will be safe to wait until tomorrow to try to get her into a vet.
Apparently the cause can range from pretty benign — gulping up water too fast — to pretty awful: collapsing trachea or laryngeal paralysis.
The fact that she managed to scarf down a lot more water today, without the choke-fest, makes me hope that it’ll be safe to let this go until tomorrow. Our vet is right across the street, which means I won’t have to hire cabs to get to and from the place. And…if we’re REALLY lucky, maybe whatever ails her will pass between now and tomorrow morning.
<3 She’s such a good little dog! Mellow and well-behaved and…doggish. A great pal and easy to care for. If I thought this current phenomenon was anything serious, I’d have taken her to an emergency vet yesterday. But pretty clearly, she’s getting over it…so I think there’s some reason to believe it’s safe to wait until our vet’s office opens tomorrow morning.
Sure hope so….
I hope whatever it is lands on the less serious side. Ruby’s been a good friend to you through the years, despite a somewhat rocky start. I do seem to remember it took all three of you (Cassie was still with you at the time) a while to settle in. 🙂